Thursday, September 1, 2011

He is God

Be still ……

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.”

Psalm 46:10

Be still … this is something we are not accustomed to these days. We live in a time where we pack our schedules so full that we cannot meet simple responsibilities. Someone invites us to fellowship--our first response, “let me check my schedule”.

This is a sobering reality for me; something I am learning as each new day lights my life.

I long to experience God; I long to hear Him during my days, yet I am not being still and knowing that He is God, Creator of the universe.

I wonder, “What can I do for you next, Lord?” But, the reality is, I can do nothing for Him; He is the Lord of lords, the King of kings and I can give nothing to His kingdom.

He will be exalted among all nations, the entire earth, what can I ever do for Him? The greatest way I can bring Him glory, the greatest way I can give back to the Savior of my soul is to simply allow Him to be who He is, the Provider of my every need. Beyond that, I am incapable of giving Him anything. He needs nothing from me, but still that is my greatest desire, to give back to Him.

I think this is a wonderful desire to have, but I don’t think it is a desire we can ever attain. It shouldn’t stop us from giving all that we have, but it should stop us from filling our lives with useless things that do not involve Him or bring Him praise and glory; praise and glory that He richly deserves.

When our life is filled with pointless, mundane tasks, our mind is easily steered away from the will of God. But, when He is our sustenance, our reason for waking, our reason for breathing, we are able to experience Him in all of His glorious ways.

There’s nothing wrong with following a schedule, getting into a routine, please don’t get me wrong. Following a schedule is something that can make a day run smoothly, help our brains stay focused on the task at hand. But, my recommendation is: do not fill your schedule with hundreds of things that keep you out of the house, keep you ripping and roaring all of the roads. Take time to watch your children blow bubbles while telling them the story of creation. Make paper boats with them and tell them the story of Moses and the basket. Fill your life with Christ, not this world.

No comments: