Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Trusting in Him

Trusting in the Lord….it’s something I think we all, at some point, struggle with; well at least I think we all struggle with. This week has been particularly hard for me.

Brian is working his bum off these days. He works a rotating shift at a factory in which he’s working 12 hr shifts, leaving before the kids get up and coming home after they go to bed. On the days that he is not there he is either landscaping or designing for one of his various clients with his design business that he is launching. We don’t see each other much and this leaves much more responsibility for me as well with reminding him what needs to be done because he’s so seldom here now. I joyously do this, ( well, not always so joyously because well, I’m a sinner who gets overwhelmed and as this post is about, struggles, but….) I love him dearly and I am so thankful for the work that God has brought our way.

But, I admit with a heavy heart, that this week I have been a bit down, struggling with negative thoughts that have arisen. We have dealt with the woes of owning our own business this week with a client unfortunately reneging on a verbal contract which left me questioning, why? Why after I spent so much time running the numbers and getting a budget together would this happen? Why after we are watching Him answer so many prayers in our life is He allowing this person to do this?

Then today, I received a phone call from a dear and beautiful friend which left my blood boiling, skin crawling with anger and I let my fleshly side completely consume the indwelling Spirit within. I let the weight that my friend was unfairly carrying because of another human being cause me to become hotheaded and I lost control of the Spirit that tried to squash my worries.

It was at that moment that I was reminded of the Proverbs verse that I should never have let escape the forefront of my mind, the one Jaxson and I had just recited this morning in school (how quickly our flesh can consume His Spirit, just an example of the constant war they are at with one another) ….

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understandings, in all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your path.” Proverbs 3:5 & 6

You see, my path was set before me long before I ever came to this fork in the road. I was called to Him at the moment of my birth, knit together for good work in my mother’s womb.

"Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee.” Jeremiah 1:5

I can choose to set my human feelings aside, the anger, bitterness, resentment towards a man and unfair trial that my dear best friend is experiencing, and I can fully rely on God to handle the situations. I do not take any hope from this world, it is corrupt and sinful and the things people do to one another is so appalling and we will worry ourselves sick if we become consumed but it.

Instead I trust that my Lord, who foreknew me and predestined me to the image of His Son will finish the work that He has begun (Romans 8:28 & Philippians 1:6)

Because of this I can rely on the only source that is able to relieve me of my worry … God. He is the Author of the Universe, Knitter of my soul and I will be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving I will make my requests known to Him. (Phil. 4:6)

Blessings in His Name

No comments: