Tuesday, January 3, 2012

LOVE



Are you IN  love?



Have you ever asked yourself; am I in love with God? I’m sure if you ask yourself if you love God that answer is simple, of course. But have you ever considered if you’re madly, deeply, affectionately IN love with Him?

I’ve asked myself this question for some time now and I can unequivocally answer now, YES. I am head over heels in love with God.

But, when I first began walking with Christ this truly wasn’t the case. It wasn’t until I began a study on Knowing and Doing the will of God called Experiencing God that I found myself pondering this same question. Am I in love with God? And what does this mean. And how can we have an intimate relationship with the Creator?

It has become apparent to me through my walk with Him that in my darkest most horrible moments of life God was pursuing me, relentlessly, as my entire world was crumbling around me. As I gave my life over to Him, He began changing my circumstances, my morals, my values, everything I thought I knew about myself truthfully.

God created us for a loving, transforming, forgiving, empowering, intimate and sweet relationship with Him. He commands this of us and will accept nothing less than complete devotion to Him. Unfortunately we are not always willing to do this and it was necessary from the beginning of time for His Son to atone for what we would not give Him; but He commands it nonetheless.

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul and all your strength”
Deuteronomy 6:5

“The one who has My commands and keeps them is the one who loves Me. And the one who loves Me will be loved by My Father. I also will love Him and reveal Myself to him.”
John 14:21
Can you say this? It took me a while to admit that I wasn’t loving Him like that. I was loving Him, but not with every single facet of my being. In my life, my husband and children came first, I would “do anything” for them. The same wasn’t true for God, the one who created me for those relationships I hold so dear. If our relationship with God is not as it should be, nothing in our life will be right or in order.

HE  is our life.

“This is how we have come to know love; He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our life for our brothers.”
1 John  3:16
“God’s love was revealed among us in this way. God sent His One and Only Son into the world so that we might live through Him. Love consists in this: not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins…We love because He first loved us.”
1 John 4:9-10 & 19

He cannot come second to anyone, there can be no competitor in our life to the love we feel, show and experience with Him. Not our husband, not our children, not our parents, not our friends. NO ONE.

“No one can be a slave to two masters, since either he will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other.”
Matthew 6:24

Now in that verse He is speaking of the love of money, but it rings true to every single thing we put before God. He MUST come first and He SHOULD come first!

He is our first love! We can be totally satisfied with only a relationship with Him, forever.

But, most of us always want more; more friends, more relationships, more money, a bigger home, nicer vehicles. Where is the satisfaction IN HIM?
God is saying to us:
“I want you to love me above everything else. When you are in a love relationship with Me, you have everything you need.”

Not want, NEED. He is all we need! The rest is wants that He will bless us with WHEN and IF He chooses to bless.

I encourage you today, evaluate your relationship with God. Are you IN  love with Him or simply loving Him

 

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

Contemplating Beauty said...

Oh I am SO in love with Him! I am Mary with the Alabaster Jar "wasting" my fine perfume on Him!!!
Thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts!